A recipe inspired by that very well known and loved Chinese takeaway dish. Serve simply with rice for a quick weeknight dinner and a delicious lunch with any leftovers, too.
Sweet & sour tofuPrint This
- 1 tsp olive or sesame oil
- 220g extra firm tofu, cut into chunks
- 1 medium white onion, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tinned pineapple juice
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 250g cooked white rice or rice of choice, to serve
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
 Begin by heating a pan on a medium heat and adding the oil. Once it’s hot add the cubed tofu and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until the edges are nicely browned. Remove the tofu from the pan and put it to one side.
 Place the pan back on the heat and add the onion and pepper chunks. Cook for 5 minutes until the onion softens and begins to turn translucent. Then add the garlic, ginger, ketchup, soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, salt, and rice vinegar.
 Mix until well combined before adding the tofu chunks back to the pan and mixing them through the sauce. Leave to simmer for a few more minutes until the sauce is sizzling.
 Serve on a bed of rice and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced spring onion. Enjoy!