When I put it out to Instagram to ask if continuing with Lunch Box Club during this strange time was something that people would be interested in, the overwhelming consensus was that people wanted normality – and so the plan is to continue with Lunch Box Club as usual. I will ensure to provide lots of suggestions for substitutions as I know certain foods are very hard to get hold of at the moment. The recipes can be made to enjoy at home or at work (for those of us who are still working).
First up is this lentil, broccoli, and pea salad. Lots of veggies, hearty lentils, salty feta, and crunchy almonds – but any of the ingredients can be subbed for others, I’ve listed these in the recipe for you!
Lentil, broccoli, and pea saladPrint This
- 250g cooked lentils (sub: brown rice / black rice / chickpeas / butter beans)
- 150g tenderstem broccoli
- 150g sugar snap peas (sub: asparagus)
- 6 tbsp frozen peas (sub: sweetcorn)
- A couple handfuls kale (sub: spinach / any green leaf)
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds (optional or sub: any nuts or seeds)
- 100g feta (sub: halloumi or avocado)
- FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (sub: olive oil)
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp honey (sub: maple syrup)
Start by cooking the lentils if they’re not already cooked and setting aside.
Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the broccoli for 2 min. Add the sugar snaps, peas, and kale for the final 2 mins. Drain and then combine the lentils and veggies in a bowl and mix well.
Toast the nuts for 1-2 minutes on a hot frying pan, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant.
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and then pour over the lentils and veggies, and toss together.
Pile onto a serving platter or divide into lunch boxes. Crumble feta and sprinkle nuts on top.