Quick weeknight dinner or simple weekend supper? You decide! However you look at them, these little tarts make the most of seasonal summer veggies…and pesto, because let’s face it, pesto makes everything better! I hope you love them.
Mini mediterranean tartsPrint This
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- Pesto (homemade or shop brought - use dairy free if required)
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 small courgette, sliced into coins
- 1 small aubergine, sliced into coins
- 1 red pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, sliced into rings
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- egg wash (or alternatively 2 tablespoons of dairy-free milk alternative plus 1 teaspoon of maple
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil, chopped
Preheat oven to 180°C, and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
Put the red onions, peppers, aubergine and courgettes on the first baking tray and roast in oven for 12 minutes, until softened.
Carefully unroll your pastry sheet and lay on the second greased baking tray and cut the sheet into 4.
Score each of the 4 tarts with a sharp knife about 5mm from the edge, then spread 1 teaspoon of pesto all over each mini tart (within the 5mm scored line).
Evenly divide the roasted veggies between each of the tarts, followed by the cherry tomatoes and season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of oil.
Brush the borders with the egg wash (or dairy-free alternative), and then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the borders are risen and golden brown.
Garnish with chopped fresh basil, and some more pesto, if you like.