Spring may have sprung, but the evenings are still pretty chilly so this warming and comforting mushroom and pea risotto is the perfect antidote to just those evenings. It takes a bit longer than your average weeknight dinner but it’s really worth the patience when it comes to risotto, or why not bookmark it for the weekend?
Mushroom + pea risottoPrint This
- 350g wild mushrooms or mushrooms of choice
- 150g frozen peas
- 500g risotto rice (also known as Arborio)
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of salt
- 1.2 litre of vegetable stock (1 veggie stock cubes plus 1.2 litres of boiling water)
- 50g Parmesan (use dairy free if required)
- handful of rocket (or spinach)
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
Place a pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and, once hot, add the shallots and fry for a few minutes.
Next add the garlic, fresh thyme, and mushrooms and fry for a further 4 minutes, until softened.
Add the risotto rice and stir to combine.
After a couple of minutes pour in the vegetable stock, season with salt and let gently simmer for 40 minutes, until the stock has been absorbed. Stir occasionally. You can add more water should you wish for it to be runnier in consistency.
Add the rocket, parmesan, peas and stir for a couple of minutes until the leaves have wilted and peas have cooked.