Just in time for Veganuary – my mushroom mince chilli! Whether you’re going vegan for January or simply want to experiment with some plant based cooking – this is the one for you. This recipe serves 4 but can be frozen if you don’t use it all up. It also keeps great in the fridge for leftover lunches (especially stuffed into a big baked potato)
MUSHROOM CHILLIPrint This
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper to season.
- To serve: Coconut yogurt and fresh coriander (optional)
- Place the mushrooms in a food processor and blitz for 1-2 minutes until minced. If you don’t have a processor then simply dice into small pieces using a knife.
- Heat the oil in a large-based frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, and spices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the chopped vegetables, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, and 1/2 of a can of water. Bring to the boil and then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chilli with rice and a dollop of yogurt.