This fun recipe is perfect for Halloween but also all year round (smiley faces optional). To cut down on time I tend to use ready-cooked packet lentils which you can grab in most supermarkets now or tinned lentils. Goats cheese or ricotta would also taste incredible with this recipe!
For a vegan version omit the cheese and maybe add some dollops of vegan pesto instead, yum!
This is a recipe taken from my book The Food Medic For Life!
Stuffed Peppers with Lentils & FetaPrint This
- 4 bell peppers, deseeded and halved
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 200g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 200g of cooked lentils
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- Handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 120g of feta
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Cut the tops of the peppers and remove seeds. Using a sharp nice (carefully!) carve your best pumpkin face into the pepper.
- Place the peppers on a lined baking tray and drizzle 1- 2 tablespoons olive oil. Use your hands to rub the oil all over both sides of the peppers. Bake for 10-15 mins until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Stir in the lentils, cherry tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the peppers and crumble the feta cheese on top. Return to the oven for 10 minutes.