For #MeatFreeWeek I teamed up with Deliciously Ella to create this delicious, plant-based lentil bolognese which gives the classic a run for it’s money. Give it a try and be sure to tag Ella and myself on our social channels too! Watch Ella and myself cooking the recipe over on Youtube too.
Lentil BolognesePrint This
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- a dozen cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree
- 150g dry green lentils
- 2 x 400g cans of tinned tomatoes
- 500ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 500g of spaghetti pasta
Place the onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, celery, red pepper, and salt and pepper in a large pan with the olive oil over a medium heat and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft.
Stir in the dried herbs. Then add the cherry tomatoes, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock (dissolved into the water) and lentils, cook for 45-50 minutes, adding the water throughout to ensure it doesn’t dry out.
Once the lentil are really soft, cook the pasta in a separate pan of boiling water until al-dente, drain it and mix it into the bolognese.