Switching towards a more plant focused diet, i.e. becoming a vegetarian or vegan, is very popular at the moment. The reason for adopting a plant based diet could be one of many; ethical or environmental issues, cultural or religious beliefs, or for the perceived health benefits. Personally, I am not vegan or vegetarian, but I do think we could all do with reducing our meat consumption and increasing our plant consumption. For the new year I’ve challenged myself to have at least one plant based meal per day. I find that breakfast is the hardest time because I have to give up my eggs so I wanted to try out this vegan alternative and I have to say, it was delicious. Tofu is high in protein and low in saturated fat so it is a good replacement for meat in the diet.
Tofu ScramblePrint This
- One block of firm tofu, drained (approx 280g)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Garnishes: salsa, chopped avocado, chilli flakes, and hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Crumble the tofu using the back of a fork or a potato masher to make a scramble.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic until soft (approx 2-3 minutes).
- Add the spices to the pan, and then the tofu scramble. Cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on toasted bread!
Recipe serves two but ingredients can be halved to serve one.