This is a guest recipe from our Summer Recipe Series by Healthy Living James. To find out more about James, head to the box at the bottom of the post.
I chose to share this recipe as they are so simple to make with only 6 ingredient and have a real summery breakfast/dessert vibe!
Vegan Cacao Protein WafflesPrint This
- 1 chia egg (1 tbls chia seeds to 3 tbls water)
- 2 tbls protein or cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 150g buckwheat flour (1 cup)
- 2-3 tbls maple syrup (depending if your protein powder is sweetened, if using cacao then use 3)
- 300ml cups unsweetened almond milk (1 1/4 cup)
- coconut oil for greasing
Add 1 tablespoon chia seeds into a large mixing bowl and cover with 3 tablespoons water. Allow to soak for 5-6 minutes (until an egg like texture)
Pre-heat your waffle machine. Add the protein/cacao powder, cinnamon, buckwheat flour, maple syrup, almond milk and mix thoroughly.
Lightly coat the waffle machine with coconut oil to help prevent the waffles from sticking too much. Pour the mixture evenly into the waffle maker. Cook as you wish (I personally like to cook without putting down the lid for the first couple minutes)
Tip: Try stacking them and adding fresh fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup on top