It’s that time of year again. The “bikini body” time of year. As the summer kicks off, we are bombarded with advertisements on how to get beach body ready with 8 week diet plans, “detoxes” and “cleanses”, summer “shreds” and fat loss supplements.
Don’t get me wrong, It’s perfectly normal to want to feel confident in a bikini or swimsuit, and I think it’s a positive thing to aspire to look strong and healthy!
The pressure put on women to look a certain way to conform to how society deems “bikini body ready” (i.e. abs of steel, perky bottoms, and legs up to your armpits) is unnecessary, unrealistic and can be demoralising for many of us.
Healthy comes in all shapes and sizes – Big or small, tall or short, curvy or slim, big bums and little bums, white skin and dark skin. That goes for the men too!
So please don’t feel like you aren’t beach ready this summer, and please don’t compare yourself to someone else’s body. You do you. You’re more beautiful than you realise!
If you want a little boost to your confidence, here are a few ways to boost your holiday glow
1. Find a bikini or swim suit that you feel comfortable in and suits your body shape. Low cut V-neck swimsuits look terrible on me and flatten my chest (even more so!) but high neck swimsuits really suit me as they accentuate my strong shoulders!
2. Exfoliate your body with a good body scrub before you head away. I often make one myself with sea salt and olive oil – A tip my mum gave to me!
3. Apply a moisturiser with a light tan to give you a natural healthy glow.
4. Drink lots of water in the run up to, and on holidays, to keep your skin looking hydrated and fresh! Your fluid requirements increase when you’re in a hot country as sweat more with the increased temperature, which leads to dehydration if we’re not careful.
5. Load up on all the fresh fruits and vegetables while you’re away – they will provide you with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, and the water content will also help keep you hydrated! Watermelon on the beach anyone?
6. Move a little each day, even if it’s just a 15 minute workout on the beach in the morning or a hike in the afternoon! This will wake you up and boost your mood for the rest of the day – also, it’s an awesome way to explore!