I really love this creamy, garlicky mash with a baked salmon fillet and some roasted Mediterranean vegetables. It also works really well with chicken or veggie sausages! Butter beans are a really great food to include in your diet, per serving you can get 7g of protein and 5g of fibre – two nutrients which we tend to under-eat here in the UK.
Creamy Butterbean MashPrint This
- 1 can of butterbeans, rinsed and drained
- 75-100 ml water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and cook the garlic and onion over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the butterbeans, lemon juice, water, and herbs. Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and using a hand blender mix well until creamy. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can use a potato masher or transfer to a blender.
- Serve hot or cold.
For a creamier mash us milk instead of water!