I realise that protein porridge is not a ground-breaking new recipe, but the amount of queries I get about how to make it made me realise that there seems to be a lot of confusion out there!
So I wanted to share my method for making a basic protein porridge recipe. You can also make this in the microwave, although personally I think making it on the hob gives you a much creamier consistency! I’ve used a whey protein in this recipe but I also use plant based proteins, such as brown rice and hemp, and the end result is pretty much the same.
Confused about why I add protein in the first place?
Although oatmeal is a great breakfast choice as it is, adding protein not only increases the nutritional value of the meal, but it adds volume to your breakfast and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. This is my favourite post-workout breakfast as it gives me the protein and carbohydrates that I need to recover and repair!
Simply Protein PorridgePrint This
- 40g of porridge oats
- 250ml of milk or water
- 1 scoop (25g) of protein powder
- Toppings: Fresh fruit, nut butter, honey, nuts or seeds.
- In a pan, bring your milk and oats to a boil. Allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes until you get a thick and “porridgy” consistency.
- Remove porridge from the heat and stir in the protein powder and a little extra milk depending how thick or runny you like them. Put back on the heat for 30-60seconds and then transfer to a bowl.
- Top with your favourite fruit or honey or nut butter!