Chicken Chilli Lettuce boatsPrint This
- 450g (1 lb) of chicken or turkey mince
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tin (400g) of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin (400g) of kidney beans
- 1 whole red pepper, chopped
- 1oog of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 vegetable stock cube.
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- To serve: Romaine lettuce
- For topping: Quark or greek yogurt, avocado, fresh coriander, chilli flakes.
Place the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add the mince, break it up into pieces with a wooden spoon in the pan, and cook until golden for 10-12 minutes. Add the red pepper, mushrooms, drained kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, paprika and cumin.
Dissolve the stock cube in 1/2 a pint of boiling water and add to the chilli mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes until the chilli thickens.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a crisp piece of romaine lettuce. Top with smashed avocado and a dollop of quark or greek yogurt.
How about trying this with some rice or cauliflower rice for a healthy burrito? yum!